GM farm animals to:
- increase meat production through rapid growth or leaner animals
- improve the amount and quality of wool
- alter the composition of milk to make better cheese, to reduce intolerance to milk or to produce medicines and neutraceuticals
- increase disease resistance
- reduce pollution from pig manure
- produce strong, spider-silk fibres in goat milk for military use.
______________________________________________(Useful for UPSC General Studies, APPSC Group 1 Group 2 , Mains Material, Paper 1, Paper 4 Section 1 Section 2 Section 3, ROLE AND IMPACT OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF INDIA, GENERAL AWARENESS WITH THE MODERN TRENDS IN LIFE SCIENCES, DEVELOPMENT & ENVIRONMENT PROBLEMS)