Why is liver called a Gland?
Sources of Blood to Liver:
- Oxygenated blood flows in from the hepatic artery
- Nutrient-rich blood flows in from the hepatic portal vein: The hepatic portal vein blood to the tissues of the liver where the contents of the blood are divided up into smaller vessels and processed before being passed on to the rest of the body. Blood leaving the tissues of the liver collects into the hepatic veins that lead to the vena cava and return to the heart.
The main functions of liver as an accessory organ within the human digestive system are:
Diseases of Liver:
- Hemochromatosis is a disease in which too much iron builds up in your Liver .Its a genetical disease of Liver.
- Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency: Is an inherited disorder that may cause lung disease and liver disease. Its leads to decreased A1AT activity in the blood and lungs, and deposition of excessive abnormal A1AT protein in liver cells.
- Alagille Syndrome
- Biliary Atresia
- Cirrhosis: Cirrhosis of the liver occurs when the organ becomes scarred and hardened so that it cannot function properly. This is most often caused by chronic liver disease brought on by long-term alcohol abuse or hepatitis C infection.
- Gilbert’s Syndrome
- Reye’s Syndrome
- Viral Hepatitis A, B, C
- Wilson Disease
Liver Function Tests:
- Important Diagnostic Instruments in Medicine - for General Awareness
- HUMAN BRAIN - Structure, Functions & Diseases Explained
- Vitamins-Functions, Types, Characteristics, Chemical Name, Uses and Deficiency Diseases
- Deficiency diseases - for General Knowledge
- Important Vaccines and Persons who discovered them - GK for Competitive Exams
- Important Therapeutic Instruments in Medicine
- IMPORTANT DIAGNOSTIC TESTS - General Knowledge
- Sense Organs- Quiz in Biology for General Knowledge
- Blood Groups for General Knowledge
- Endocrine Glands & Their Hormones
- Structure and Working of Eye - Simple Review
- DISEASES AND AFFECTED ORGANS - for General Knowledge
- Diseases of Eyes
- What are Chromosome? Their Role in Cell Division? Chromosome number in different species